Tuesday, May 1, 2007

On my way to see a friend

Her name is Jenny and she is a goddess. She already knows everything I ever wanted to know about spinning, plus a whole bunch of stuff I'm not smart enough to even know that I want to know about. When the ego gods get the better of me and I get to thinking I'm just all that AND a bag of chips as a spinner, all I have to do is think about Jenny's spinning and I am swiftly humbled.

She also knows oodles and oddles about natural dyeing, both the cooked-by-fossil-fuel method and solar. Plus, she's a fantastic knitter. And for those who really don't give a flip about the land of fibery goodness (I know you're out there. It's a big world.) she's an all-around fascinating person.

She's writing a book. I can't wait. Visit her blog, Spinning Spider Jenny - it's well worth the trip.

In other news, here's the blanket, still on the loom. So far, it has retained all its mysterious power to thrill me. I'm not sure what it is, but it is most certainly not Scottish plaid.

Can't wait to get this off the loom and get it fulled. The Harrisville warp should fluff up nicely. I like the contrast between the smoothness of the Harrisville and the nubbly Noro weft, I like the million different colors, I like the unpredictability of it all. Mostly, I like that it is Not. Scottish. Plaid.

Another picture, 'cause I'm just that pleased:

The first blanket I made was atrocious. I love it dearly but it's clearly akin to a kid's craft project made out of popsicle sticks and macaroni. Beautiful only to its creator.

Well, I've gotten a little better since then, and more importantly, my loom and I have reached detente.

My ancient Harrisville, well, to call it cranky would be generous. But through patience and understanding (and horrible cursing and a good swift kick when patience and understanding wore out) I figured out its little eccentricities and petty needs, and now we're getting along well. It still likes to try to slip a fast one in there once in awhile but I'm hip to its evil ways.

That's all for now. Maybe I'll have a finished blanket to show tomorrow, though more likely it will be Thursday. Maybe.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What Lisa has failed to tell you is that she makes one hell of a bowl-full of homemade banana icecream. If there is the possibility of being an icecream Goddess, she is it. And her Non-Scottish-Plaid is ever-so-lovely, too. So there.