Friday, May 25, 2007

Scour-palooza

The scourfest is almost over. One more pound of Shetland, currently in the sink, then I'm done, at least for the moment. My sink can hold about a pound of fleece at a time, so you can see that 'round these parts, scouring in quantity is a slow proposition.

I have another wee chunk 'o' fleece coming soon. It's an interesting one - see No.173, there at the top? It's from a California Red sheep. They are the same color as Irish Setters when they're born, then fade to a kind of oatmealy color with raspberry undertones when they grow into big sheepies. I've never seen one in person, and I've never worked with the fleece, so it should be a fun experiment. I'll post a full report when it arrives and I've had a chance to futz with it.

In other news, work on the Noro blanket continues, although slowly. I've managed a couple of inches per day, just to keep it from becoming sullen and petulant.

Various socks are in various stages of doneness. Some have become quite rude in their efforts to attract my knitterly attention. I had to stuff a couple into the bottom of the project bag just to get 'em to shut up.

Test cardings and combings of Tybee and the various Shetlands have been completed, and the spinning of swatches has commenced.

The Bohus swatch was exquisite, did I mention that? But the only additional progress I've made on that is to measure out the amount of fiber I need to have in each batt to make it all come out more or less the same. It's a long-term project, and by that I mean VERY long-term. If I have a handspun Bohus to wear this winter, well, check the sky, 'cause pigs will be flyin'.

HOWEVER. There is a close-to-instant-gratification option. Got to feeling a wee bit guilty about not making a "real" Bohus, with authentic yarn and colors and whatnot, so I broke down and ordered a kit from Sweden, which arrived a couple of days ago. I could sail right in and start it, except I had to order new Addis - I don't have any long size-1 circulars. Since I'm an American and have been reared to strongly believe that whatever I want should be instantly available, in great quantities, on the shelf of the local big-blob store, it's been a frustrating couple of days.

What's the plural of Bohus? Bohuses? Bohi? Whatever. Two Bohi. Two sweaters on size-1 needles. Clearly I need medication.

And while all this foolishness is going on, I'm also spinning some commercial top I got back in the day. So far it has stubbornly refused to just spin itself while sitting in the stash closet - pretty darn rude, don't you think? It had been very patiently waiting but a couple of days ago it leapt out at me, all fibery teeth and claws, and snarled that I'd best spin it NOW if I know what's good for me.

I can only obey.

No comments: