Tuesday, May 15, 2007

The trouble with swatching

Almost done with the lace girly girl socks, almost done with the Fair Isle cotton booties. Futzed with the Noro blanket for an hour or so just to keep it happy.

Had an idea for a new sock design. Spent a couple of hours knitting test swatches, then ripping them out in fits of disgust and rage.

Couldn't quite get the real sock to match the sock in my head. But I will prevail, sooner or later. I am just too stubborn to let some pointy sticks and a piece of string get the better of me.

This is what happens when I try to be a good girl and play by the rules. Nothing but frustration comes of it.

When I dive right in and live dangerously by 1) failing to even consult, let alone follow, a pattern; 2) failing to knit the almighty swatch, 3) failing to calculate and instead casting on however many stitches seems more-or-less right, and 4) failing to have even the vaguest of plans... things generally work out. As evidence, I present the Fair Isle booties, which, despite their inherent silliness, are turning out quite nicely.

By the time I get the swatch worked out to my satisfaction I'll be so pissed off by the whole thing that I'll never knit the actual socks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lisa,
You know, if a swatch just gets in the way and makes you want to pull out that beautiful hair of your's, get rid of the whole swatching idea. Whatever gets your creative juices flowing is the right thing to do. Swatch or no swatch.

Say, did you have happy fleece hunting in NH? Chris DID end up going around with me a bit prior to class. Rather a shocker as that's not his usual mode of action...kinda fun!