Monday, April 30, 2007

Loose ends

It has come to my attention that, if I am to have a weaving/knitting/spinning/general fibery addiction sort of blog, I am required to post a cat photo. To ignore this rule - and I gather it is an ironclad rule, based on an incomplete survey of many, many other fiberish blogs - would be to court disaster. I haven't checked the exact wording of our local statutes but I'm pretty sure it's at least a misdemeanor to neglect a cat photo. And anyway, I'm a solid citizen, not some rogue crochet fiend - of course I'll follow generally accepted community standards.

Here she is:

She was not terribly enthused about having her picture taken. In fact, she thought the whole idea was stupid. Note the catlike disdain of the process; note the utter lack of cooperation. This picture came after several attempts to get her to sit prettily on the deck rail. We did several rounds of me putting her on the rail, racing frantically to get the camera in position, then capturing an image of her tail waving in the breeze as she jumped down. Why I ever thought I could get a cat to do what I wanted it to do is a complete mystery. You'd think at my age I'd know better.

Her real name is Fancy. She has a chronic respiratory condition that has earned her the name Snotcat. She lives up to the name.

Since we're doing pictures, here's what's in my bathroom: Peeps. Forty six of them. My husband ordered them from a hatchery in Missouri; they arrived by U.S. mail about two weeks ago. Things like this do not happen to Manhattan knitters, I think.

They have to be kept warm until they're about a month old. By my reckoning, they will have to be in the bathroom for another, oh, two weeks, three days, seven hours and four minutes.

Not that I'm anxious to get them out or anything. Never that.

Suppose I should put some fiber content into this post somewhere, eh? The blanket is turning out oh-so-nicely. I am thrilled. The interplay of the many, many colors is so complex I doubt there are two square inches that are exactly alike. It remains to be seen if anyone in the buying public will like this as much as I do. Certainly I'll have to find a buyer who has a taste for serendipity. But surely I'm not the only person in the world who isn't a big fan of Scottish plaid. Right? Right? You know who you are...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, I am coming out of the closet to say I rather like ALL plaids. In fact, I'm a plaid freak...just ask Jenna. She gave me a Buffalo plaid shirt (grey and white, in this case) because she most definitely is NOT a plaid lover. I'm going to go out on a limb and say I bet Jenna is not a Scottish plaid lover either. So there, Ms. Lisa, you have a fellow Scottish-Plaid-Hater (at least I think so...)