Thursday, July 19, 2007

Greed, avarice, lust

Wild Apple is due to show up at my post office any day. Anystinkingdaynow. Yesterday would really not have been too soon. Today would have been acceptable as well. Tomorrow would be fine. Much more than that and the giant spiders are going to start crawling on the walls.

The good folk at my tiny local post office are getting tired of me, I'm sure. I have checked our box twice today, and will probably do so again tomorrow. It's OK, though, they already know we're kinda strange. Most of the boxes we've received in the last three months have either been from Sweden, or have contained live poultry. That's an odd combination even by postal standards.

We got 25 more peeps about a week ago. The post office guy called at 6:30 a.m. to let us know they were there and that we could come get them right away. He doesn't officially open until 8:30 a.m. but will make an exception for chickens.

So honey gets to the post office, and has this conversation:

Post office guy: They don't like the Four Tops.

Hubby: Hmmmm.

POG: And they HATE Vermont Public Radio.

H: That could be a problem.

POG: But they really seem to like Smokey Robinson.

Now I don't know about you but this is one reason I like Vermont - in what other location will federal officials help you determine the musical tastes of your day-old chickens?

However, I digress.

Back to Bohus. Should we have a sing-along? "An-ti-ci-pation, anticipay-yay-shun, it's making me wait...."

Eh, perhaps not. Chickens don't like karaoke.

I haven't anticipated a package this much since I was four and just knew there was a pony in that big shiny box. Yeesh. This avarice is quite unattractive. And yet I can't say I am remorseful.

Wild Apple is my personal little mystical knitting Mecca - the trip I have dreamed of taking, but never thought would actually come to fruition. To have it suddenly within my grasp is, um, exciting.

Up top there is a random picture of what I assume is a finished Kimmet Croft Wild Apple. I swiped it off someone else's web site and now I can't figure out where I found it, so my most sincere apologies for not giving proper credit.

The KC version has been available for some time now. It is lovely. Marvelous, really. And I have occasionally considered getting it. But I really wanted the fine, fine detail of the original sweaters.

The image on the right is a vintage Bohus (pic swiped from Poems of Color).

Note the slight differences in the colors between it and the KC version. The KC version is a worthy sweater ... but I'm glad I waited for Solveig.

As I've said in previous blog entries, I have no intention of starting Wild Apple until both Forest Darkness and Blue Shimmer are done. My most vivid fantasies right now involve simple fondling of the skeins, not actual construction. Which makes my incredible stinking greed for this kit doubly inexplicable. The only even halfway good rationalization I can come up with at the moment is that Imusthaveitrightnowdammitnownownow because it's possible that Solveig might decide to retire (shudder!) and then there will be no more kits and then I. Will. Just. Die. So I had to get it, right? I had to.

In other news: My undyed yarn finally showed up from the not-terribly-service-oriented supplier. I need to get some skeins painted and send them off to their new homes.

I was hoping to have some up on Etsy shortly but hubby took the camera. He's off hiking the Long Trail with our 15-year-old. I really wanted to go, but I wasn't invited, and anyway, someone has to stay home and take care of the chickens.

Addendum: Ah, mystery solved. The top picture is from The Rainey Sisters blog. If you haven't read their postings, well, you should. They're funny and smart and almost as freaky about fiber as me.

2 comments:

Debra said...

The first photo used in your post is Susan Rainey's sweater. Her blog is 'The Rainey Sisters'. Check out her Blue Shimmer mods!

Lisa said...

Ah, thank you! Yep. That's exactly where it came from. I will amend my blog entry swiftly. ;-)