Sunday, July 15, 2007

Public service announcement

Solveig now has the Wild Apple pullover available as a kit! She's also made a kit for the hat and scarf! I don't even wear hats, at least not until it gets down into the serious brass-monkey zone, yet I'm extremely excited about this.

So far, there is no Wild Apple jacket kit. But, I emailed Solveig and she says that if I get both the pullover and hat/scarf kits and follow the generic instructions from one of the other jacket patterns that she does have kitted, then I would have enough yarn and enough basic construction information to make a Wild Apple jacket. There would be a certain amount of faking it - it's uncharted territory for sure - but thankfully most of my knitting contains a hefty element of faking it. Bless you, Elizabeth Zimmerman, wherever you may be.

Above is a photo of the Wild Apple pullover, swiped from "Poems of Color." In-freaking-credible, isn't it? I mustmustmust make the jacket.

By the way, I'm well aware that my admiration and appreciation for all things Bohus has shifted from simple love to fetish. It's OK, though. I'm helping to preserve an art form that should not be lost. I'm creating beauty. I'm doing my part to reduce our energy dependance by making myself wonderful warm sweaters, so I can turn the thermostat down... blah blah blah. In my little universe there are a thousand and one good reasons why I absolutely MUST make this sweater, but the reality of the situation is that there is only one reason:

It's cheaper than a coke habit.

I am by-god going to finish Forest Darkness and the incredible, wonderful Blue Shimmer that I adore beyond words before launching Wild Apple. (Note to Frank: I really really want to start the Shimmer RIGHT NOW. It's been calling to me. Loudly. But you are right, I need to get Forest Darkness finished first.) And of course there are other projects that need doing. For instance, there is a handspun Guy Sweater that must be designed and built, there are interesting Cookie A socks that need to be constructed, there is a handspun Dale skulking about... All good, all worthy. Coke isn't the only drug, ya know? But Wild Apple simply Must. Be. Done.

In additional Bohus news, Green Mist - another on my wanna-knit list - is available as a pullover/cardigan and will be available as a jacket soon. Neither Wild Apple nor Green Mist are on Solveig's website yet, but you can still order them - just send her an email.

Non-Bohus news: Eh, who cares?

3 comments:

Juno said...

You are cracking me up. But then, I ordered Wild Apple last week.

Never mind that I've never done color work......

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I would have had Wild Apple two weeks ago, but Solveig and my husband conspired against me. She delayed replying to my Wild Apple inquiry until after Blue Shimmer had arrived, thinking that I might have changed my mind. Obviously they are both too nice to understand that I NEED THAT KIT and will do severe bodily harm to anyone who stands in my way. ;-)