Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Susanna Hansson is da bomb

She really is. If you ever get a chance to take one of her classes, do it. Trust me. You will not regret it.

The Mittens of Rovaniemi class was mind-blowing. Eleven tiny balls of yarn, intarsia in the round, fiendishly wee little needles - how much fun can one girl have? The technique was amazingly simple, once you get the hang of it. As in many things, it's all in the prep work. Of course, get that mucked up and it's a world of hurt on so very many levels...

According to her I am now one of, oh, fiftyish people in the Americas who know how to do this:
Ho ho. I always wanted to be one of the cool kids.

The Bohus class was fantastic as well. I lust to make this:

If we were interested in strict telling of truth here, there aren't many Bohus garments I'd pass on making. I really won't be content with my life until I have at least one of every kit Solveg offers (solsilke.se). There are some colorways I probably wouldn't WEAR all that much, but as art, there's not a single one that's not worth making.

In other news, this is how I've been spending the week:


Some is on its way to Not Just Yarn, some is going to Etsy when I can motivate myself to get it posted, and some is going to Stephanie Pearl-McPhee. I donated four skeins for her to use as prizes for the Knitters Without Borders drawing, so if you see something that looks like one of these on yarnharlot.com, that might be me ;-)

Someone asked what my Etsy name is, so for those interested, here you go: whitebirchfiberarts. See you there ;-)

2 comments:

Arianne said...

I too love the Bohus (Bohai?) on that website! I'd knit them all...but I wouldn't wear them all. Maybe gifts.

Also I am so jealous of your Rovaniemi...do you have any closer photos of it?

Lisa said...

Hi Arianne -

I tried to take a picture of the mittens, but my digital camera grows sullen when asked to take a close shot.

I wish I still had a film camera - you can reason with them ;-)

Lisa