Saturday, August 4, 2007

Slow ride

A couple of nights ago, I proved something that was long suspected: I am, as experienced knitters go, dirt slow.

The lovely ladies in my knitting group at Margie's Muse are almost all beginners to advanced beginners. They are all I have to compare myself to, and of course I am faster than them. So for awhile I was tricked into thinking that maybe I'm at least average for my level of experience. But no, not so much. My Speed Racer pedal-to-the-metal top number of stitches per minute, in stockinette on circs (no purling, and certainly nothing tricky) is 43 stitches per minute. On lace, colorwork, cabling, whatever, my pace is anything from glacial to geologic.

No bloody wonder it takes freakin' forever for me to get anything done.

In my own defense, I am pretty darn accurate. But still, accuracy alone is worthless unless you eventually wind up with A FINISHED OBJECT.

If anyone knows any sort of speed-knitting training program for terminal waddlers, could you let me know?

2 comments:

Susan said...

Yeah - I know what you mean - some of these knitters seem to produce an FO a week! It takes me quite a while to knit a sock. Very humbling!

Unknown said...

I'm lucky to turn out an FO every two weeks or so.

Of course if I could summon the will to practice project monogamy, there might be a better FO/WIP ratio. But where's the fun in that? ;-)