Saturday, April 28, 2007

In which we begin.

Well. Here I am, blogging despite all efforts to avoid the genre. It's all seemed so very pretentious - I mean, do most bloggers really think anyone wants to know the intimate details of their diets, dogs or ship-in-a-bottle hobbies?

Apparently, I do believe this. Lord, spare me from my own self-absorbtion.

Actually, this blog was created as a supplement for my new web site, whitebirchfiberarts.com. I'm hawking my handwoven, hand-dyed and handspun stuff. It's all pretty cool, at least I think so. And of course if I love it, the world will love it too, right? Anyway, check it out if the mood strikes. Better yet, wait a couple of weeks until I actually have stuff for sale.

Projects in progress:

A rayon chenille shawl, purples and mauves and whites in random stripes as warp; so far just plain 'ol white as weft. It's lovely, but not exactly challenging. Only about six inches into it and I'm already bored. It may be that I become so disgusted by my lack of originality that I'll start throwing in stripes soon. It is a measure of how easily amused I am that a simple change in color could very well revive my interest in the project.

A big honkin' blanket. Queen-sized, I suppose - depends on the takeup and shrinkage. Of course I did not swatch. I like to live dangerously. Warp is various colors of Harrisville Highland, 100% wool; weft is stripes of Noro Blossom and Noro something else, wool, angora, cashmere and silk. Be still my heart.

Projects recently finished: Rayon chenille shawl, seen at left; this is at the moment the ONLY item I have for sale.

I do have other stuff I'm gonna put on the web site - some hand-dyed sock yarn, and some luscious handspun. I've just been too lazy to take pics of it. Oh, well. There's always tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, would ya just look at that BEAUTIFUL SHAWL!!!!